My Roommate from Freshmen Year

When I first applied to Hanover, I didn’t know anyone from my high school that were thinking about going there too, or any of acquaintances for that matter. I remember over the summer that I got an email that said something about there being an app on Facebook where you answered a bunch of questions about the way you prefer to have your room and stuff like that. So I finished the survey and not too long after that I received a few friend requests from future freshmen at Hanover. One of them was Lisa, my soon to be roommate at Donner Hall. She messaged me asking if she could be my roommate and I accepted right away. We kept chatting over the summer on and off, trying to get to know each other better. I told my mom how excited I was about living with Lisa because before I accepted Lisa as my roommate, she was saying how I wouldn’t find a roommate because I’m so hard to live with. When she first said that I was like – “gee, thanks, mom. Love you too.” But then I got a roommate and wanted to be like – “In your face, mom! MWUAHAHA JK LOL Love you, cherish you.”

Our first trip to Madison <3
Our first trip to Madison <3

And then summer was basically over and we had to come on campus a week before classes had to begin for Freshmen experience. Back then I thought it was stupid and I didn’t want to move in early (because I had to come back from Russia early when I was visiting my family) so I wasn’t a happy camper to go but now that I think about it, it was really fun. I mean, I still wish I didn’t have to go to all those talks early in the morning but getting to know each other a bit really helped. I keep looking back to see how much I’ve changed since then; Lisa and I both have. We were there for each other for first piercings, tattoos, boyfriends, and much much more. One time we dressed up in superhero costumes and ran around in them on a Tuesday afternoon for no reason whatsoever and we ran into someone’s parents, so I’m guessing they were a bit startled.
All of my friends know how much I love the show “Friends.” I’ve been watching them since I was 5 back in Russia and I seriously watch them every night religiously. One night, after Lisa and I watched the episode where Phoebe runs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HuqNdQJSTY), we decided to run like that on campus. In reality, it takes a loooooot of energy to run that crazy.

Our first trip to Luhvul
Our first trip to Luhvul

Freshmen year, Lisa rushed ADPi and has been living in their house since beginning of Sophomore year. We have very different schedules because she’s a Biology major and I’m a Political Science major, but we still can connect after weeks of not seeing and be comfortable around each other like we’re still rooming together. Over the weekend Lisa, Kala, and I went to a rave in Louisville and ended up staying at our friend’s house. We slept on the floor like it was a sleepover. At one moment she looked at me and said – “Three years ago, I never thought we would be doing this together.” I just giggled and said – “Me neither.”

Our first Christmas sweater party at Sigma Chi