We’re the three best friends that anybody could have!

I’ve always had difficulties making friends, girlfriends to be specific. I grew up in such discomfort with myself where I thought I wasn’t cool to be friends with girls that everyone seemed to like or be liked by boys. So I always tend to have more guy friends than girl friends, even though I didn’t start dating until I graduated high school.
I was a tomboy. My mom always tried to dress me in bright colors and, of course, a lot of pink. At some point she finally gave up and said, “fine, wear black and look depressed!” Lulz. I never liked wearing dresses and sitting all proper, and talking about clothes. I was always a little rebel – getting in trouble at school, having detention (yet having awesome grades), and feeling perfectly content with being one of the boys.
I’ve always had one or two good girlfriends up until college and I’m still good friends with them; but I’ve changed when I met Ivonne (my little Vonnie Cakes) and Kala (my partner in crime). We’re all so different from each other but we make this amazing trio to the point where after our freshman year, everyone thought of us as one person.

Run night during freshmen year
Run night during freshmen year

Kala’s mom to this day refers to Ivonne and I as “Ivonna” when she asks Kala how “Ivonna” is doing. To which Kala always responds – well which one, Ivonne or Yana? It makes me giggle every time.

Beginning of sophomore year
Beginning of sophomore year

We all come from very different backgrounds but we all have struggled when it came to paying for school. We’ve always been unaffiliated. We all always hung out with the Betas during our freshmen year and we were usually always the only girls around them.
Ivonne is originally from Peru but she lives in Louisville. She’s known for being quite and many people describe her as “one of the sweetest people they’ve ever met.” She’s an English major with a minor in music.
Kala is from Georgia but moved to Louisville as well. She’s known for being loud and obnoxious (in the best way possible), and having tattoos. She’s a studio art major.
I’m from Russia but I live in Lexington, Kentucky. I’m a political science major with a minor in Spanish. I don’t really know what I’m known for, nor do I really care what people think of me.
The three of us are so different. The only classes the three of us had together were for LADR credit. We’ve had our ups and downs and I think last year, was the biggest downfall in our friendship. But we somehow made it and now that we’re about to graduate, we keep looking back to the very beginning of our beautiful friendship starting during freshmen year. We’ve come so far. Through the hairstyles, new tattoos and piercings, boyfriends, and study abroad trips we’ve taken – we still have our dinner time that we treat religiously because that’s been our sacred bonding time for over three years.

Junior year
Junior year

I’m happy to have these two beautiful, kind girls in my life and have the privilege of calling them my best friends. I hope that years from now we’re still just as close.

Senior year (din din time)
Senior year (din din time)