Trying To Be Like Elle

IMG_20160117_203306Whenever I would tell someone where I was going to school I would potentially get one of two questions; ‘Why are you going so far away when we have a school here?’ or ‘Why spend so much money when you’ll save more money going to this school instead of going to Hanover?’ These questions were almost always asked and often, still are. I come from a small town where college isn’t a main priority and if it is, it’s one of the local ones; that’s why being the first of my family to go to college, this thing called sororities was only the secret handshake and sisterhood I witnessed Elle Woods be a part of. Entering into my freshman year, I was still unsure whether I wanted to be a part of that. But I decided I would give the sororities on campus a try and from the first moment I stepped into Alpha Delta Pi, I was hooked, and determined to become a sister.

When formal recruitment came around, I signed up immediately. While some of my friends participated but dropped out, I could not be more happy to announce that I am an Alpha member of the Phi chapter of Alpha Delta Pi here at Hanover. Some of the girls that I’m closest to are members and even half of the HC Dolls are members. I will even be the first to tell you that I am not a runner, but on the day that we run down the street to meet up with our sisters, I was so exhilarated that I didn’t even notice the burning in my thighs until after we sat down inside of the house. That whole day was a flurry of emotions for me. I fell asleep nervous, woke up a combination of nerves and excitement, and when I opened the envelope and saw where I would be joining, I cried. I actually cried three times that day I was so happy and relieved. I have already started identifying these girls as my sisters but even had I ended up somewhere else, I know that they would still be as genuinely happy for me as they are. I see them almost every time I go to class and they say hello and automatically, my day gets better.

A year ago, I didn’t know I would have over fifty sisters, I didn’t know I would be part of the oldest sorority in America, I didn’t know the diamond would be my most used emoji, and I certainly did not know that I would be addicted to a game about alpacas, but I love my new sisters and can’t imagine what life would be like had I not even tried to become a member.