The Magic of Studying Abroad

Hanover College is an incredible school with amazing opportunities.  In my opinion, we have one opportunity given to us that stands above the rest: the ability to study abroad. Now, most schools offer study abroad programs.  What makes Hanover’s so amazing is how easy it is for us to travel the world and experience so many different cultures.

Last May, I saw this first hand.  To Hanover students, Spring Term is many different things.  To the men of Lambda Chi Alpha, it can be the excitement of the Whiffle Ball tournament every weeknight for hours on end.  To a KIP student, it can be taking the notorious Nutrition class that pays off immensely in the end.  And for a large majority of these aforementioned students as well as so many others, it’s studying abroad.

I had the wonderful opportunity to spend the entire month in France.  My class was called “Off-campus French conversation.”  What better place off-campus to do so than France itself, right?  While many spring term classes involve daily schedules of traveling around with the professor based on an itinerary, mine was very different.  We all lived with separate host families and went to a French Language school in the small town of Tours, France.

I cannot begin to describe how incredible this was.  To be fully immersed in a culture that is not your own is a truly enlightening experience.  Living with a family whose English consisted of colors and numbers up to ten, I was able to join the French entirely.  As a student, my favorite part of the day would be leaving school and getting to explore the adorable town of Tours and everything she had to offer.  Meeting up with friends at a café for a glass of rosé or walking two miles to the centre commercial to window shop were the times I learned the most about the french language and the way these people know how to  live their life to the fullest.

An evening wine tasting on the roof of our Language School, Clé.

In conclusion, if you are given the opportunity to travel while you are here at Hanover: do it.  If you are studying a language, pick a class where you will be pushed to better understand the language, culture, and everyday living of the country where you are traveling.  The memories and knowledge you gain will stay with you forever. Trust me, you won’t regret it.