The Annual Griswold Family Christmas

Christmas break. So close, but yet so far. At Hanover, the weeks leading up to Christmas break are either heaven or hell. On one end of the spectrum, there is one version of dead week, which includes light homework, reading and other assignments, which leaves you plenty of time to study. On the other end there is another version of dead week, with dead meaning you have probably died due to the amount of homework and stress of this weeks homework on top of studying for your finals. For most students, they are either on one end of the spectrum or the other. Somehow during this stressful time, students find ways to have fun.
One of the traditions that we have in my sorority is to have our annual Griswold Christmas Party. We call it the “Griswold” because we decorate the house to the nines, dress in our best Christmas sweaters and decorate a gazillion Christmas cookies and devour them all in the same night. This is one of my favorite time spent with my sisters.

Our beautiful house being decorated!
Our beautiful house being decorated!

However, we don’t decorate the house in an orderly fashion. Instead, we throw the lights out the windows into the trees and all around our house. There may or may not be a Santa hanging from our roof for dear life. These decorations are randomly thrown around inside the house as well. In our house, there are random garlands on banisters, wreaths on every door, and decals with angels and Santas on them on almost every mirror and window in the house.
Even though decorating the house is fun, this isn’t my favorite part about this event. Rather, my favorite part is spending time with my sisters and seeing the excitement and joy that everyone has when we are all together. This truly is one of my favorite things about being in a sisterhood. I love the sense of community that I have with my sisters, but not just with them, but also in my Hanover bubble.
During this time of year, Hanover has almost too much Christmas spirit and stress to handle. This is one of the most wonderful but yet stressful times of the year. The excitement and anxiety that fills campus is contagious. Whether it’s because of an A on a quiz or because of the thrill of leaving campus for three weeks that will be filled with family and holiday cheer, there’s something for everyone to be excited for this season.

The best way to spread Christmas cheer is signing loud for all to hear.