Let’s Talk About Food

Fries, fries, fries. As much as I love to eat fries, I have never hit such a point in my life where the person selling the fries looks up when I walk in, and smiles because he recognizes me. True story.

In Leuven, there is such a variety of foods and snacks to eat that I felt like it was important to dedicate a blog post just to how great they are! Just walking down one of the mains streets, it is easy to find Japanese, Moroccan, Indian, and Vegan cuisine all within a few blocks of each other. Leuven is absolutely filled with different international cuisines that you can stop in and try during a lunch break, or for a fancy dinner. You have the world’s food at your finger tips!

Vegan cuisine during our lunch break!
Vegan cuisine during our lunch break!

The most important and dearest to my heart, however, are the snacks you can find around town. Along with a variety of candy and chocolate shops, Leuven is filled with fry, coffee, waffle, and kebab shops. One dish that Belgium is famous for are thick-cut french fries topped with a special mayonnaise sauce (that is completely different from the sauce in the US). Now, if you’re really hungry, walk into a kebab shop in Leuven and order a Kapsalon. Though it actually means “haircut” in Dutch, a Kapsalon is the dish that proves that late night snack food is way better here in Leuven than any Taco Bell you can get in Hanover. A Kapsalon consists of a layer of fries, a sauce of your choice, kebab meat, cheese, and vegetables. The best part? You can get all that for 5-7€ and delivered for FREE!

Not only is the food absolutely delicious, but one of the best parts is that, just like at Hanover, each mealtime creates a sense of community amongst the people I live with. Though there is no set time for everyone to eat their meal, you can always count on at least 1-4 people eating at the same time you are. Thus, you never have to cook and eat alone, as well as an excuse to get to know the people you live with even better. Even if you’re busy 12 hours out of the day, everyone needs to take an hour or two to eat everyday. Because of that, you are handed a chance to relax and talk to even the busiest of people! Each mealtime makes me a little homesick for my own mealtimes at Hanover when a group of friends would jam 3 long tables together just so we could all sit together and spend that time enjoying each other’s company.

Hanover Family Dinners!
Hanover Family Dinners!
J-House Family Dinners!
J-House Family Dinners!

If food didn’t already have enough power and love in my life, I recognize now how one of the best parts of the day is even more important in getting to understand the world around me!