All Things Must Pass

In the past two weeks, a little pest in the back of my mind keeps reminding me of how little time I have left here in this beautiful country. Many other students and I have talked simply about how if one month passed so quickly here, how quickly will the next two months zip by for us? Though our life style is so much slower here than at Hanover, time passes by just as quickly. Each day here seems to be a new adventure, where you continue to learn more about the diverse people and culture you’re immersed in each day. Yet, what will we do when our time here is up?!

Even George Harrison’s words of wisdom haven’t been consoling me too much… [cue All Things Must Pass]

However, the fact that our time here is fleeting, and way too short has reminded me of how precious and important it is. Buying delicious Kapsalons and Kebabs (see picture for details), building a fantastically loving community in Junior House (my dorm), going on adventures around Leuven to find amazing street performers and art; these are the small but important details about my stay in Leuven that have made it so incredible so far.

Best late night snack EVER
More Street Art!
More Street Art!
Street Art around Leuven
Street Art around Leuven
Seppe, the Street Performer and fellow J-Houser

One particularly difficult part about studying abroad is coping with creating great friendships with people that you will have to leave three months later! Because KU Leuven has a much larger student body than Hanover (over 40,000 students), we have the opportunity to meet a lot of people from all over the world. Yet, my favorite part about the past month is found in the relationships that I’ve made with just a small fraction of those students. Though we will only stay for a few months, the permanent J-House students have taken us in almost like family. We have cake nights, parties, family dinners, and even our own trashy reality TV show nights. It’s hard to be homesick when you wake up in such a welcoming environment every morning.

Home Sweet Home (Junior House)

Though I’ll be extremely sad to go, I know that my time at J-House made my study abroad trip even more important and special. Yes, all things must pass, but that is why it is so incredibly important to appreciate them while we have them. So, this is just my appreciation post for the people who I see and love everyday throughout my Study Abroad experience!