The Top Five Reasons Why You’ll Appreciate Your Parents After You Move Away

My wonderful family
My wonderful family
My family and I on move-in day my freshman year.

My first thought when my parents drove away after dropping me off for August Experience was; “Finally, freedom!” My parents were never too strict, but I could not wait to finally do what I wanted when I wanted. It sounded pretty great at the time, but as my first semester of freshman year passed, I began to think of all the little things my parents did for me that I missed or now had to do myself.

5. Clean my room/clean up after me
Now, I have always been a very neat and tidy person, but there are times when my life gets hectic and I am too lazy or tired to clean my room. My parents would always remind me to do and help me clean when I was younger.

4. Laundry!
Laundry is such a hassle. As a freshman, it’s a pain to drag all your dirty clothes down to the laundry room and wash them. You will appreciate the days when all you had to do was take it downstairs and your mom would sort it, wash it, dry it, and fold it for you.

3. Food
My mom’s cooking is one of the best things in the entire world. She makes the best desserts, and I missed them so much after eating at the CC and UG everyday. Admit it, the CC and UG aren’t so bad, but no way do they compare to mom or grandma’s cooking. You’ll miss sitting around the dinner table about to dine on your mom’s fresh out of the oven pot roast. As a freshman, I was very lucky that my family sent me packages filled with fun thing, cards, and food. Knowing that they were thinking of me, made me miss home and being able to be with them.

2. Your first sick day
Every now and then, people get sick. It’s part of life. My freshman year I had the worst stomach bug, and more than anything I wanted my mom to be there to take care of me. When I was little, our parents would stay home with me when I was sick. As I got older, I enjoyed the day home alone as much a I could while still running a fever. As a college student we think about the headache of missing classes and wishing your parents be there to care for your every need.

1. Being able to talk anytime
The biggest thing that you’ll appreciate about your parents is that they are always there for you to talk. No matter what, they will support you and love you, even if they don’t agree with you. They will always be there to give you advice and to help you in anyway that they can.

In conclusion, next time you talk to your parents, tell them you love them and thank them for all the little things. It may not seem like a big deal in the scheme of life, but think about how that one little thing made you who you are today.