Finding My Home Away From Home

My pledge class- Winter 2014
My pledge class- Winter 2014
All the newly affiliated Greek women.
All the newly affiliated Greek women.
I found my home :)
I found my home :)

Before I even came to Hanover, I knew that I wanted to join a sorority. In high school, I had many friends, but not friends that I saw outside of school. I knew that I had always wanted a close knit group of friends, that I knew would love and support me, and be able to be there , physically and emotionally for me anytime I needed, and I would do the same for them.
My entire first semester, I visited all four of the sorority houses weekly. That was probably the best decision I made about recruitment. In the beginning, I had no preference towards any of the houses, so I was very opened minded. I made my own decision, without the influence of my friends. I think that is one of the best advice a can give someone who decides to join a Greek organization. You have to be yourself and find what works best for you, not what you know will make your friends happy. You have to find someplace where you feel comfortable and will be able to grow and develop as a person.
My sisters are some of the greatest people I know. I love the feeling of knowing that when I return to the house that someone will be there to ask me how I did on my exam and be there to celebrate me on any accomplishment. I love being there for my sisters as well. In my sisters, I have found my greatest support system, and a family. They are my family at my home away from home. They make me feel comfortable, no matter how silly I am, and feel loved in every situation.
Joining a Greek organization was one of the best decisions that I could every make. It was what was best for me and I would not regret it. Whether you want to go through recruitment or not, it’s always nice to get to know people, even if they are Greek or not. I have many friends who are not Greek, and still spend time with them. I would encourage anyone wanting to get to know people, to visit a Greek house and see if you like it. If that’s not your thing, find something that is your thing and get to know people. College is all about finding yourself, and seeing who you truly are. Everyone has a niche, you just have to find it.