Grad school visits

I cannot believe that this is my last year at Hanover. It is finally time for me to start visiting graduate schools to decide where I want to spend the next two years. I have lived in Indiana my entire life and I love it here, but going abroad to Australia made me want to live near a coast and go explore other cites and states.

The school entrance
The school entrance

Currently, my number one school is the University of North Carolina Greensboro. I set up a visit with their grad school and the head of their Athletic Training Program. My mom and I made the 10-hour drive down on a Tuesday, and it went surprisingly smooth.

We arrived in Greensboro and decided to explore the area for dinner. While we were looking around, I noticed that most of the restaurants, coffee shops, and stores were names I didn’t recognize. The town of Greensboro was urban, had only a few large chain stores, and I loved that.

Pastabilities: home of amazing mozz sticks

We settled on a small pasta joint downtown called Pastabilities. It had a total of 25-30 four top tables inside of it, and the walls were lined with wine. This place had the best mozzarella sticks I have ever had, and it didn’t cost an arm and a leg.

The next day I had a tour around the campus and met one-on-one with the program director. Hearing all the details of the program, looking at all the equipment, talking to current first-years, and going over the demands of the program was very intense; it was intimidating.

That is one of the main reasons I have it as my first choice. This program will challenge me, the nationally recognized practitioners would challenge me, and the work load will challenge me. That is one large thing I was looking for in my graduate school. I don’t want to go somewhere where I can skate through; I want to go somewhere where it will push my knowledge to the limits and teach me things other programs wouldn’t.

Much needed beach day
Much needed beach day

After the visit, we drove down to Wilmington to meet a friend I made over in Australia at the beach. We stayed at a beautiful hotel, had a great beach day, caught up with my friend and started our drive home.

It was a successful weekend. It is crazy to think that I will need to apply and decide where I will live for the next two years. However, I am so excited to start this new chapter.