Working as a Best Buddies intern

The summer has finally arrived and we all know what that means — friends, sun and hopefully a beach somewhere. BUT that also means work, internships and real world problems. This summer is going to be a crazy busy summer for me; I have an internship for Best Buddies Indiana, I work as a security guard, and I am a first-aider for Varsity Spirit.

The Torch's progress across the states currently.
The Torch’s progress across the states currently.

Last Thursday, I had my first day at Best Buddies Indiana. I interned here last year, and it was one of the highlights of my summer. I have been involved in Best Buddies for the past six years. It has become one of the largest parts of my life. It has taught me life lessons and given me friends that I will have for the rest of my life.

In case you have never heard of Best Buddies, I am about to tell you about one of the most fun, dedicated, and hardworking organizations I have ever been introduced to. Best Buddies is a “nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD)” (This was taken from our website).

You join the club and get into a buddy pair. You basically become friends with an individual with IDD (an intellectual or developmental disability) and that is it. You become friends. You go out to lunch together, you watch movies, you go to a sporting events. You introduce them to your other friends and go live your happy life with another awesome friend in it.

A picture from Best Buddies Indiana's Facebook.
A picture from Best Buddies Indiana’s Facebook.

Last Thursday, I was welcomed back to the officer by being taken out to lunch for pizza. It was great to get reacquainted and acquainted with everyone in the office for the summer. After lunch, we stopped on the side of the road to cheer on some friends who were participating in the Special Olympics Unified Relay Across America. It was very inspiring to watch our friends ride by on their bikes carrying that torch.

It was a great and eventful first day to a wonderful summer. I cannot wait to continue to work with my awesome co-workers and see what other things are in store.