Proud to be a Hanover College Panther

The team together for team dinner!
The team together for team dinner.

Well you know what they say, all good things have to come to an end. After a great season, the Hanover College softball team played their last game May 2. After a tough tournament, we fought hard and made it all the way to the conference championship game!

This was the first time in 14 years the team made the conference tournament, which is quite an accomplishment in itself. But to make it to the championship game was even better. But I am getting ahead of myself; first I should tell you about all the games we had to play to make it there.

Our first game was against the number one team in the conference, the team we eventually faced in the championship game, Anderson University (Ind.). Although we played a tough game, we didn’t come out with a win. We lost by just one run, but luckily the tournament was double elimination, so we weren’t done yet. Right after that game finished up, we played again but this time against Manchester. We finished up on Friday with a win and the score was 8-6.

Because we won that game, that meant we were in the semifinals Saturday. Saturday morning, we played Bluffton University (Ind.), the number two team in the conference. This game was also a close one, one that went into extra innings. We usually only play seven innings but instead we had to play nine to tough this one out. The outcome was a score of 7-6 with Hanover sending the Bluffton Beavers home. That is how we made it to the championship.

Now, of course, I would have loved to have won the entire tournament, but I was still overjoyed at the results. I was so proud of my team and couldn’t be more thankful for being a part of it.

Besides the games, we made tons of fun memories during the tourney. We stayed at one of my teammate’s house, so it was just like a big slumber party. We also had team dinners together, which are always fun.

Now our goal is to make it back there again next year, hopefully with the title of the conference tournament champs. Until then, I will enjoy the rest of my spring term with my head held high and a smile on my face. I sure am glad I chose to be a Hanover College Panther.