Softball opener on new field

Here is a picture of me hitting :)
Here is a picture of me hitting :)

Yesterday was our first home softball game of the year on our brand new field! We had long been anticipating playing because last week two home games were scheduled, but both were rained out and postponed.

While the field was still a little damp, it was in great shape to get the double header out of the way. We played Centre College from Kentucky. They aren’t in our conference, but they are always a good team to play.

We split the double header, meaning we won one of the games and lost another. Although we would have rather won both games, it was a great team effort. In the second game, we were down by three runs and rallied back, but fell just one run short with runners on base.

What is important is that we didn’t give up and played together as a team. By the time the second game started, it was getting pretty chilly, but we did not let the weather distract us from the game.

In the first game, I had a double with two RBIs, which resulted in the two runs that won us the game. I am also our third baseman, but I have played several positions on the team in my three years here at Hanover College.

My first year, I was an outfielder, primarily left field. Last year, I played a little outfield, but stayed mostly at second base. Then this year, I play third base, but occasionally make my way to the outfield as well. But overall I don’t mind because I will do whatever the team needs me to do.

Although I am a little sore today, I am very excited to play again. Our next home game is next Wednesday. It is another non-conference doubleheader against Wilmington, and then we play again next weekend. Next weekend is also the start of our conference games, so we will have to be on our A game.

Our conference record is what determines at the end of the season whether or not we play in the conference tournament. Only the top four teams get to move on, so it’s important that we get a good start from the very beginning. It has been good to be able to have some extra games before we start the ones that really matter towards the end of the season.

This year’s team is really shaping up well, and more than anything, I am really excited to see what we do during the rest of the season. To see all the details and more about the games yesterday or our schedule, be sure to check out our page on the Hanover College athletics website.