Getting used to HC weather

Spring weather may be here to stay... hopefully
Spring weather may be here to stay … hopefully

Rain, rain, go away, come again NEVER! That was the song I was singing for part of this past week. It has been beautiful down here at Hanover College, and it seems that maybe we will be able to finally count on it feeling like spring for a while.

But then, the rain hit, and it sure did hit. It caused two of our softball games to be postponed because of the field flooding. It seemed like it wasn’t just our field that flooded, but all of campus, too. Thankfully, it’s just a little muddy in places, since overall it has dried up.

So, why am I telling you about the weather? Because the weather in Indiana is a little bit odd and takes some getting used to. My advice for any incoming freshman would be to be as prepared as possible for it.

For example, the mornings here can be pretty chilly. This morning it was only 40 degrees outside. But with the sun, I was able to walk outside comfortably in a tank top and athletic shorts.

During the rainy week, my rain boots came in handy. When I first came to college, I thought that getting rain boots was something I didn’t really need. But after the first hard rain, I realized how beneficial they are. Some places on campus get puddles easily, so I would definitely recommend some rain boots. I even have a rain jacket.

An umbrella is also a must have. And as I have learned, the rain boots can also double up as snow boots in the winter with some thick socks or boot liners.

I am not saying you have to splurge on getting expensive rain gear. But having some waterproof shoes can be really beneficial. There are several places in Madison where you can get them. Walmart has rain boots for as cheap as $20, it all just depends on what you want. I have some Sperry rain boots that I absolutely love, but any rain boot will do.

I hope since I have warned you about the rain, we can avoid getting any more for a little while. Many of the spring sports have started back up with their official games for their seasons, and it would be nice to be able to play. Plus, having some sunshine makes everyone with an 8 a.m. class not quite as sleepy in the morning.

I am one of those people who is not necessarily a morning person, so sunshine is always a great way to start the day. For now, I will keep singing my rain song and hope that Mother Nature listens.