Valentine’s Day at Hanover College

All my goodies!
All my goodies.

Valentines Day kind of catches a lot or crap for being labeled as a holiday only for couples. Some also say that it is a holiday created for spending lots of money on flowers, jewelry and candy. While both of those thoughts on the holiday may be right, it doesn’t mean that you can’t have fun with it.

There are tons of fun things to do right here around the campus area in Madison that are perfect for Valentine’s Day.

Downtown Madison has a ton of fun shops to offer. Whether you want to actually shop or just look around, there local shops are unique and interesting. They also have several yummy restaurants and desert shops.

One of my favorite places is The Red Peppermint, which is a frozen yogurt place. They have lots of different flavors as well as even discounts for being a Hanover College student.

The prices are also low, and they offer many different toppings. Farther down Main Street, there is a chocolate shop. They have great sweets and is definitely worth the splurge moment.

If you are looking for a great place to buy some chocolates, or to take your date out, going downtown is a great idea in my book.

But you don’t need a significant other to be able to enjoy Valentines Day. Many people have turned the holiday into “Galentine’s Day,” and it is a great way to share the day with your girlfriends.

Going out for some ice cream or a milk shake from Hinkle’s may just be the trick. My coworkers in the business office here are awesome. They even went out of their way to get me a Valentine’s Day gift. It was a great, unexpected gift filled with lots of goodies.

If you are feeling a little bit more adventurous and want to go a little further, Louisville or Clarksville, Ind., are both within about an hour of campus. There are even more options there. The location of Hanover College is one of the things that I really appreciate. We aren’t too far from bigger cities, but we also have things to do here. I even found an article that lists some great things to do while you are in Louisville. Check it out for yourself!

So, whether you are spending Valentine’s Day with your significant other or with a group of your friends, just remember that there are lots of fun things to do right here close to Hanover College. And if you choose to ignore the holiday, you can always do that here, too, and order a pizza or head over to the Shoebox. Either way, one more Valentine’s Day is in the books.