A little homesick

Bella when she was still cute.
Bella when she was still cute.

This past school year I have found myself feeling a little more excited for breaks as they come up and even sometimes wishing to go home on random weekends. I’ve never really been homesick before but I suppose that is what I have been feeling lately.

Coming back from Christmas break I was honestly a little reluctant. This reluctance wasn’t just the fact that I didn’t want to go back to classes but had more to do with the fact that I didn’t want to leave my family.

My family is pretty stereotypical: my parents, who have been married for almost 21 years, my three younger siblings and I. My siblings include my first sister Emma, who will turn 18 in just over a month, our only brother Mason, who is 16 and a diabetic, and our youngest sister Isabella (Bella), who just entered the dreaded teenage years this past December.

My siblings and our cousin at our Grandma's house one summer. *from left to right: Me, Mason, Emma and our cousin Mack.
My siblings and our cousin at our Grandma’s house one summer. From left to right: Me, Mason, Emma and our cousin Mack.

Growing up in a large family you would think I would have dreaded the idea of coming to school hours away from home when I had no way home (that’s right, I’m an almost 21-year-old without a car).

To top it all off, and make it even less likely that I would have chosen this school, I knew no one at Hanover (I’m the only person from my high school who has come to Hanover). But I fell in love with the school and at the time I decided to attend had no care in the world about how far I was or wasn’t from home.

As the oldest, I have always been pretty independent since I have been taught to take care of myself a little earlier than some kids are and also due to the fact that my younger siblings were a little more demanding in their need for attention and care.

When I was really little, from about the time I can remember, till middle school I would spend most of breaks including all of summer in Michigan with both sets of my grandparents.

During the summer, I would spend about a month and half at my mom’s parents’ house and then the other month and a half of break at my dad’s parents’ house.

That whole time I didn’t see my parents at all since they had to go back home and to work in Indy. One of the many perks of being the oldest was the right of being alone with my grandparents and not having to share time with one of my siblings.

Six hour car rides give lots of opportunities for funny pictures. That's Bella on the left and Mas on the right.
Six-hour car rides give lots of opportunities for funny pictures. That’s Bella on the left and Mas on the right.

Looking back, it more than likely had nothing to do with my age but more to do with the fact that it was easier to just keep all the baby stuff together

Getting back to the point, I was never homesick during these long stays away from my family. My sister Emma (the oldest) would sometimes sit outside in her car seat for hours waiting for my parents to drive into the drive way and pick her up to go home.

Mason and Bella would also ask when they were going to go home or sometimes beg to go home near the end of their visits. I never did that, I was always content to stay as long as I could and when it came time to go home I would leave unwillingly.

Emma creeping over Nana as she takes a nap.

Lately, I’ve found that I would like to go home more often than I did during the past two years of college. I’m not sure what the difference is, but I have also been more reluctant to come back to school.

I would much rather stay at home and spend time with my family, parents and siblings alike. I’m going to be looking up ways to beat being homesick and will follow up next week with what I find.

However, for the time being I am using the fact that I will be home at the end of the week for winter break for comfort.