Softball spring training

Here is an action pic of me playing.
Here is an action pic of me playing.

It may sound goofy to be so excited about this, but out new softball gear came in this week. We were all required to buy sweatpants and a jacket, but there were tons of options.

Actually, most of my Hanover College gear is softball stuff from the past couple of years, and I absolutely love what we got. Even though we have been practicing for almost three weeks now, getting our new warm up things makes me feel like the season is almost here.

If you can’t tell, I am a little anxious and eager for it to get here, but I know it will come soon enough. So far, we are looking very good in practice.

This time of year is also exciting because as compared to last year, we have a lot of new players. It’s bringing a whole new depth and awesome team chemistry to the mix. Even better, we will be in Florida in just two weeks.

To explain why we will be in Florida, it’s because in two weeks we have winter break. Most schools have spring break in March, and we have spring break, too, but it’s just a little later. Winter break is a break we get at the end of February every year. It’s a great way to get a little breather from classes and during this time, many of the spring sports teams go for spring training.

The softball team goes to Clermont, Fla., every year and plays at the National Training Center. The fields are really nice, so it makes the experience that much better. This is often our first time getting to practice outside since the fall, but things are a little different this time around because as soon as we get back our season starts.

Even though we practice inside for weeks before leaving, it is never the same as actually being outside on a field. Spring training in Florida is not only is it a great learning and bonding experience for the team, it’s also a great way to catch a nice tan and enjoy some warmer weather!

This year is very special for me because I found out that we will play against a good family friend of mine. We have known each other for years, and spent many summers together playing lots and lots of softball. I haven’t seen her in five or six years because we started playing for other teams and because I am older than her.

I was surprised to hear that my parents received a call from her parents and she will be in Clermont at the same time as I will be. I am so excited to see them again! It’s crazy how things can work out like that.

So now I am counting down the days until we leave for sunny Florida. Our hope is to improve our record in Florida this year as compared to last year. I am proud to say that every year I have been a Panther softball player, we have improved our spring training record each year. Check out our game schedule in Florida and for the regular season!