The Bod Pod

Me getting ready to get in the Bod Pod with my awesome hair cap.

Last year, Hanover College got an awesome new device for its students and the community. It’s called the Bod Pod. This is one of the newest and most precise ways to measure your body fat percentage. It can tell the difference between between your body fat and all your muscles and organs.

If you ask one of our KIP department teachers (I ask Professor Bill Tereshko, because he is my academic advisor) to schedule a Bod Pod test, they will happily set it up for you.

The test does not take more than five minutes total. You have to wear tight fitting clothing; compression shorts for men and a one piece swimming suit or spandex shorts with a sports bra.

The Bod Pod reminds me of an egg. You sit in this, and then the director will close the door. You will hear some popping noises, and I can feel the pressure inside of it change, but not many people can.

The National Institute for Fitness and Sport explains how accurate the Bod Pod is. The machine uses air displacement to tell the difference between fat versus muscles/organs. They also say that it is, “as accurate as hydrostatic (underwater) weighing, but quicker and easier to perform. The range of error for this test is ± 1 to 2.7 percent.”

Dani in the Bod Pod having her test administered by Bill

I believe this way of testing is a much better way for athletes to get a decent idea of their body fat percentage versus taking the standard BMI test. BMI testing has a difficult time distinguishing between fat and muscle.

It just bases its reading off of weight and height. Normally, athletes and non athletes have different amount of muscles; this can skew the test results since muscle does weight more than fat.

All in all, if you ever have a spare time in your career here at Hanover, try to get in the Bod Pod at least once. It is a great way to check up on your health and who knows, maybe save you later in life from something you can detect now.