Preparing for pageantry

Evening gown at one of my other pageants :)

I mentioned in one of my latest blogs that I am in the Miss America Organization. Yes, I do the whole pageant thing that you watch on TV, but it is really so much more than that.

Many people do not know that the Miss America Organization is the number one scholarship provider for young women in the world. They also do not know all of the amounts of charity work that we put in to compete, as well as to just to help out.

We all have a platform, which is a social cause or issue for which we both stand and advocate. And along with our personal platform, we advocate for the national Miss America Platform of the Children’s Miracle Network.

Every time we compete, we must raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network, which goes directly to their organization. While we as contestants may all have different platforms and different opinions on social issues, we are all women who have the common goal of making a difference in the world.

The Miss America Organization has definitely made me into the woman that I am today, and I am forever grateful. Not only has it changed me for the better, it continually changes me for the better, and that is just one of the many things that I love about it.

I have a local pageant coming up that I am preparing for, and what is super exciting is that I have also recruited some other women compete with me, too! It is so rewarding to know that they could also be impacted as positively as I have been, and that is my ultimate goal.

This means that for the next couple of weeks, aside from my softball practices, class and work, I am also going to help these awesome young women prepare to compete as well. It is going to be so much fun!

My biggest advice to them will be to always stay true to yourself. Aside from the internal rewards I have been given from helping others, I have learned so many valuable skills for the workplace because of the Miss America Organization.

One of the competition phases includes a closed-door interview. I have found this interview process to be much like a job interview process, and it has more than helped me be comfortable within that type of setting.

Overall, I just love that regardless of the outcome of the competition, I am always surrounded by incredible women who inspire me to be the best person that I can be. I believe that is more than any one accomplishment can ever get me. I am so elated to be able to encourage my new-found pageant buddies to do the same.

If you want to know more about the organization, my platform, and what it’s like to compete, check out my other blog.