Greek Life

The ladies of Phi Mu waiting for their new members to run home.

At the beginning a new semester, most students are trying to get a handle on their new professors, classes and in my case, keeping procrastination under control. But, during these first two weeks, there has also been something else on just about everyone’s mind. Greek life.

The first week back on campus had affiliated women (already members of the Greek community) and all the women interested in joining (called rushing) in full recruitment mode. The week was full of different activities and conversations about each houses’ values.

Phi Delt painted the spirit rock in preparation for run night.
Phi Delta Theta painted the spirit rock in preparation for Run Night.

At Hanover, the women’s Greek community consists of four Panhellenic organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Chi Omega, Kappa Alpha Theta and Phi Mu. When the unaffiliated women who participated in recruitment received their bids (invitations to a certain house) they proceeded to run home to their new sisters decked out in the sorority’s colors.

The second week of the semester brought on men’s recruitment. This week also has events at each of the houses for men who are interested in rushing to become better acquainted with the men in each house and what each house values.

Like the women, the men received their bids and then ran home with their brothers before a night of festivities to welcome the new Greek members to the community.

The men of Sigma Chi performing their rendition of "Uptown Funk" on run night
The men of Sigma Chi performing their rendition of “Uptown Funk” on Run Night

This night is most commonly referred to as Boy’s Run Night, and most of campus turns out for these events.

The Interfraternity Council (IFC) chapters on Hanover’s campus are Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Gamma Delta and Sigma Chi.

While there have been so many negative happenings in the media about Greek life, it is important to remember several things. The most important is that no campus is the same. Not all fraternities/sororities are bad and most are positive.

Look beyond the cup.
Look beyond the cup.

There has been research on Greek GPAs being the higher than the average college GPA. The all Greek women’s and men’s average GPA on Hanover’s campus is higher than that of unaffiliated students.

All of the Greek chapters have national philanthropies that they donate to, and they give back to the local Hanover and Madison area through different community service opportunities.

I went Greek because I wanted to become a better person and be a part of something bigger than myself. I wanted a family at Hanover who I knew would support me and guide me to be the best version of myself.

The last two years in Phi Mu have taught me how to become a better leader, student, person and friend. I have made connections that will not only benefit me in my career, but also later in life when I need a friendly face and a comforting hug.

I chose to go Greek because I want a family full of smiling faces to welcome me home, and these wonderful women have been that and so much more for me.

Congratulations to all the Hanover chapters on their new members and congratulations to all those new members on the best decision of your life (at least so far).