Having hobbies when you’re a college student

I was a gymnast for many years, and over the holiday break I decided to pick it back up again. It may sound cliché and somewhat odd, but I have enjoyed being able to keep up with this not-so-new hobby.

It may also seem weird that as a junior in college I found my love for gymnastics again. But, there is a reason that I got myself back into it. I am involved in the Miss America Organization as a contestant. One of the things that I have to do when I compete is perform a talent.

In the past, I sang for my talent. While I loved doing that, I thought it would be fun to try something new. Interestingly though, my something new was, in fact, something old as well. You can check out a few of my moves on this quick video.

You may wonder why I chose this as a topic to even write about. Or maybe why you should care? Well, in this hobby I have found a way to have time for myself. Now, don’t get me wrong, I practice here on campus when I workout, so it is not quite the same as being in a gym with a spring floor. However, it has been a great stress reliever and a good way to clear my head if I have had a rough or busy day.

I’m writing this to encourage you to find a hobby for yourself to do once you get to college. And if you are already here, then I would say having one is great. Even though I am heavily involved on campus between clubs and sports, I still make time for something I really enjoy.

In the midst of all this, I came across an article listing five great hobbies for college students. You should check them out.

What is interesting is that it explains how if you do something that you enjoy, there is literally a part of the brain that is affected to make you feel good. How cool is that? If that isn’t a good enough reason to explore your hobby options, than I don’t know what is.

After it’s all said and done, I am pretty proud of how my gymnastics skills have come along. I have picked it all back up pretty quickly. I even have a routine down for my next pageant so yay for that.

Aside from sports and my club involvements, I guess you could say my other hobby is sleeping, which seems to be common among college students, right next to watching hours of Netflix. Whatever the case may be, I have found that taking time for yourself is more important than anything sometimes.