The Life as an Indianapolis Security Guard

This is the Old National Centre. It is my favorite place to work. If you have never been to a show here, you should go!
This is the Old National Centre. It is my favorite place to work. If you have never been to a show here, you should go.

Australia completely broke my bank. And by broke my bank, I mean I have never had this low an amount of money in my account since before I stared driving.

I need to replenish it as soon as I can; how am I ever suppose to do my normal recreational spending on craft supplies?

When I got home I immediately went back to work. I work for a company in Indianapolis called ESG security, and I love it. I generally enjoy all my coworkers. I’m on great terms with my supervisors, and now that I’ve been with the company for a while, I can get the shifts that I prefer most.

We are the people you see at Klispch concerts in yellow. The ones at Bankers Life in blazers. The ones at the Old National Centre in blue. We do the purse checks, pat downs, and watch the entrances and rowdy crowd members.

Luckily, I have generally been able to guard the dressing rooms at most of the shifts I work. But if I’m not backstage, I’m at the gates doing pat downs.

My favorite sport to work is the Indy Fuel Hockey games. They are amazing!

I know how much you complain that this has to be done to you when all you want to do is go in and have fun. I promise you, it’s not fun for us either. It’s not fun, either, telling you that you can’t bring something in.

For example, I have been complained at more times than I can count because you cannot bring in umbrellas to most places. This may seem ridiculous to you, but when you have an intoxicated person using an umbrella against you as a weapon when you have to remove them from a venue, that is the ridiculous part.

So, next time you have someone tell you you can’t bring something in, don’t fight us. Understand it’s for a good reason. We want you to be safe and have fun. It makes our job so much easier.

This is what I was doing all Christmas break until I came back to Hanover in January. It’s not always the best job, but I like it because it is job, and I am fortunate enough to have one. Gotta do what you gotta do to put money in the bank.