Back to reality after a trip to Disney World

The "Frozen" themed castle
The “Frozen” themed castle

Christmas break is over, and it is back to reality. Finals were surprisingly not as rough as I thought they would be, but I was still ready for a chance to take a break and get away.

Well, what better way to do that than to go to Walt Disney World! Classes ended Dec. 12 and my flight was Dec. 13. Without much time in between, I got all my things packed and was ready for my 8 a.m. flight that next morning.

Preparing myself was probably the most stressful part. I haven’t been on a plane since I was three years old, and I never had to worry about my luggage then, either. But, thankfully, my boyfriend went with me.

For the past couple of years, Hanover’s tennis team went to Florida for their spring matches and since he is on the  team his help with how all of it works was such a relief.

Our turtle-shaped cheesecake.
Our turtle-shaped cheesecake.

Once we got there, check in was quick, and we went straight to the parks. This all may seem extremely expensive, but going to Disney World on a college budget is actually very possible.

This was my 12th trip to Disney World, so you can call me a Disney World expert. I continue to go back because I love it so much. Growing up in a time where “The Lion King,” “Toy Story,” etc. were so big, it just reminds me of being a kid again.

Christmas at Disney World is even more exciting. There is so much effort put into how everything looks, down to the Christmas music that just puts everyone in a great mood. They even have fake snow blowing around the park so the dream of a white Christmas is actually possible.

For the first time, my boyfriend and I were on the Disney Dining Plan. This was free for the time we were there, and it was a HUGE relief and savings for us.

My boyfriend and I had such a great time on our trip.

All of our food was free, and we ate awesome meals. We ate steaks, cheesecake for dessert, and even got free drinks the whole time we were there. One of my favorite restaurants was called the Coral Reef Restaurant. While we sat and ate, an aquarium with sharks, sea turtles and beautiful fish surrounded us. Our cheesecake even looked like a sea turtle!

We also never had to worry about transportation because we stayed at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel. This meant that we received free bus transportation from park to park and to and from the airport. Since Disney is pretty much a town in itself, having that transportation makes everything so much easier.

Now that it is all over, it makes me sad but also happy for the time we were able to have there. Secretly, we are kind of planning our future trips there already.

I would suggest Disney World for any trip, but especially at Christmas time. While I may be a little biased, it is fun for all ages. It truly is “the happiest place on Earth.”