It’s Christmas time at Hanover College

The FIJI house, all decorated for the holiday.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, we have just a few short weeks left on this semester. Time has really flown by, but, I think everyone can agree that it has been a long semester, and that the break was well deserved.

The last two years on campus, everything time-wise and schedule-wise has been a bit clustered during the first semester. It is largely in part due to when the Thanksgiving break happens. With the holiday a week later this year, it has made a huge difference in everyone’s schedules.

For me specifically, I know that many of my assignment due dates changed, as did some of my meetings. This was great in some respects because I was able to put more thought into my overall work and not feel rushed on big assignments.

However, this also made many of my large assignments and presentations all in the same week. Some were even on the same day. Next year, Thanksgiving will be pretty late as well.

So, my advice for incoming freshman is to think ahead. Look at your syllabi in advance. But also, don’t count on your assignment due dates to be changed because of a conflict. Even just thinking about big projects, papers, etc., ahead of time will benefit greatly in the long run. I find starting them is always the hardest part.

While I am on the topic, this week seems to be one of those weeks with those packed amounts of large assignments. I have a presentation and two large papers due just this week. That is not even including studying for finals.

Saying that my workload is large is a bit of an understatement. But as corny as it sounds, one of the biggest things that helps me stay happy and positive is knowing that Christmas is right around the corner.

Christmas is by far my favorite holiday. I always look forward to the festive atmosphere that is created on campus before the holidays. In particular, the Brown Campus Center, what we call the CC, decorates for every holiday.

I probably show favoritism to the Christmas décor because of my love of the holiday, but it is just beautiful. Some of the Greek houses on campus even hang up Christmas lights. It just really gives the campus a homey type of feel.

When you feel like venturing out past campus, downtown Madison is also beautiful during Christmas time. It’s also a great place to find unique gifts for those on your Christmas list.

While I study and work my little tail off, at least I know that another break is just around the corner. Even though I am recovering from my illness, I plan to start all my work early, and make it all a little bit easier on myself. Being stressed never makes anything better.

In the meantime, I will also take some time for myself, enjoy some hot tea and listen to my Christmas music as I take in the holiday spirit here on campus.