A break from the race

Image-1Going to college is supposed to be the start of the rest of your life. You get here, you register for classes, you try to make new friends and find where you fit in a world without your parents holding your hand.

In the rush to get things right, it can be easy to forget or lose yourself in all of the goals and new interactions you have that challenge you to grow and change.

I am in my sixth semester at Hanover, and I still find myself getting caught up and overwhelmed by all of the responsibilities and expectations along the way.

I have two part-time jobs and a blog, I have classes, I have a social life (sometimes), and I have the typical growing pains of being a young adult finding my way and living my life.

With something always on the to-do list, it can be easy to forget that the most important thing I can do is to step back, be still and take a break. Things don’t stop because I’m tired.

But sometimes, a pause or a change of pace is exactly what I need to refuel, gain perspective, and move forward with renewed energy and confidence.

It’s kind of like a NASCAR race: Every now and then I need to have a pit stop — check everything out and take care of myself so that I can continue to be the best me. If I didn’t, the pressure that I put on myself would build stress to the point of eventually making me unhappy and unhealthy.

In class I have to pay attention, reflect and work hard in order to do well. The same thing applies to college in general.

I have to pay attention to my life and take the steps to keep me healthy and focused in order to be successful. I think that is a good piece of advice for people just entering college to seniors about to graduate.

It all starts with you. If you take care of yourself, the rest will follow, and your goals will be a lot easier to accomplish. I know that I forget this in the whirlwind that is my life, but Hanover is a great place to learn how to manage myself in the world as I continue to learn how to be my own person and manage the world around me.

Ways I de-stress:

1. Read a book for fun
  2. Have a music jam session
  3. Take a short trip off campus (Goodwill run, anyone?)
  4. Movie night
  5. Practice lacrosse
  6. Learn something new
  7. Netflix
  8. Write journals and poetry

Are you making sure to develop healthy habits now? If so, how do you de-stress? If not, what are some ways you could start?