Things I miss about Australia

Studying abroad has truly changed my life. There are so many things that I miss about Australia, and I would gladly go back in a heartbeat. The more I think about Australia, the  more I miss it. These are just a few things I miss the most:

Iced coffee: I love iced coffee. I drink it everyday going to work. I drink it when I need to stay awake. I drink it almost as much as water. So, naturally, when I saw a coffee shop here I had to stop and get one. But the crazy thing is, instead of ice in the coffee they add a scoop of gelato.

If you want ice in it, you actually have to pay extra. But I’m a broke exchange student, so I guess I’ll have to settle for the awesome gelato in my coffee. HOLLAA for awesome ideas.

Dunkin has nothing on this.
Dunkin’ Donuts has nothing on this.

The ocean: I have lived in central Indianapolis my whole life. It was always fun to take vacations to the coast and beach, but I have never had the luxury of spending long periods of time there. I have been missing out.

Being in Australia made me realize how much I love the water and sand. Now that I know what I’m missing, I need to move to a coast when I graduate or something because I am going to be so lost without one.

Not depending on technology: I complained in my last post about not having data or WiFi, but it’s also a relief as well as being a nuisance. Having to fill moments with old-fashioned entertainment instead of just focusing on social media is a great change.

I paid more attention to the people around me, and I talked more to them instead of just sitting next to them and being on my phone.

Running views: I’ve always exercised and been decently in shape, but recently I decided to train for the Indy Mini Marathon. It’s a very hard to have the focus to run for an hour-plus.

I found it easier to keep running when I could look to my side and see the beach and the ocean. It’s going to be hard to keep my motivation for running when it’s 35 degrees, and all I get to see is my housing complex.

Who wouldn't want to run next to this.
Who wouldn’t want to run next to this?

Weather: It is not going to be fun going from Australia’s consistent 70-ish degrees to Indiana’s 30. Enough said.

Stress on fresh fruit: There is fresh fruit everywhere. More people snack on fruit instead of candy. People definitely still snack on candy, but they are more likely to snack on fruit.

Passion fruit: One of my new favorite fruits are passion fruit. It is this glorious little purple/yellow fruit that sour and tasty. I hope I can find these at Walmart, or else I’ll go through some serious withdrawals.

The best hidden coffee shops: Almost anywhere you walk in Wollongong, you can find a cute little coffee café. I love being able to go almost anywhere and find good coffee.

Being independent on my own: I’m an only child and pretty dependent on my parents. Never have I  really been away from my parents for a long period of time.

One reason I went to Hanover is because it was far enough away from home (two hours) but still close enough in case I really needed them. Being here gave me the opportunity to thrive by myself. I had to actually fend for myself here and I got a glimpse at what life would be like for me when I finally leave home for good.

The fashion: Holy cow. I LOVE AUSSIE FASHION. It is very beachy, laid back and bohemian. Honestly, no one cares what you wear here. It’s such a open mindset, and I love it.

No one would think twice about seeing all these old men having a nice coffee date in their typical Aussie hats and Hawaiian board shorts.

The fitness: Everyone walks every here. The restaurant that you want to go to is 5 km away? That’s not that far. Let’s just walk and not waste gas.

You want to procrastinate? OK, but don’t do it with TV. Let’s go swim or go play soccer. I love the outgoing mindset here.

The people: The thing I’ll miss the most is the people. I have made some lifelong friends here in Australia. Some are Australian, and some are from countries all over the world.

These people have opened my mind, changed my life and shaped me to be a better person. I will wholeheartedly miss everyone I have met here, and they will always hold a place in my heart.

Just a few of the people that have changed my life
Just a few of the people who have changed my life.