Things I took for granted

The only Wifi I was able to tap into.
The only Wifi I was able to tap into.

We hear it all the time how we take this and that for granted. More times than not, I just kinda let this go in one ear and out the other. That was until I arrived in Australia.

There are SO many things that you just do not notice how amazing they are. It was serious culture shock and agony finding out all the things I had taken for granted and loved, ones that I would have to be without for five months. Ekkk! Come back to me awesome Americanized things.

WiFi: Being able to go into a store or coffee shop and being able to link into their WiFi is a huge privilege. There is no WiFi anywhere, and if there is, it is locked, and there is no way you are getting the password unless you basically promise them your unborn child. Good bye, free WiFi.

Data: Having a large/unlimited amount of data on your phone when there is no WiFi. I challenge you to turn off your cellular data for two days and see how much you suffer.

If you are lucky enough to have a phone plan with data it is only 1-3GB. Or, you could be like me and have to have a prepaid phone and only able to use my iPhone in WiFi, aka one spot in the entire continent of Australia.

Free water/refills: Being able to go into a restaurant and get free water because it is summer and 89 degree outside — that is a thing of the past. You will have to buy a bottle of water from the place, and it is very rare that there will there be a place where they will give you a cup of water instead of a bottle of water.

There are also no refills, not even at fast food places. I was in Sydney having a nice little lunch, and I nicely asked our waitress if my coffee had free refills. She looked at me like I was insane.

Free sauces: Want BBQ or ketchup with your meal at  a restaurant? Be ready to pay extra. I always thought ketchup was a normal free thing. I thought wrong.

Cheap alcohol: You can drink at age 18 here in Australia, so when my friends and I wanted to go out, we went to the liquor store to buy alcohol for drinks. The normal bottle of Smirnoff at home is about $12-15 for a fifth (which is two pints give or take some mL). A PINT (just in case you didn’t catch it) of Smirnoff is $46. This should be a crime.

Let’s just say, now that I am 21, I cannot wait until I can get back to the States.

Internet with no caps: Back to the concept of the Internet. Having limited and finite access to the Web are the worst. How are you suppose to research for a paper if you don’t have enough GB to download the PDFs? Looks like you’re probably failing your paper.

No ethernet cables: you also cannot pick up internet without one of those ancient cords from the stone age. Australia’s internet is basically back to dial-up.

This is how I feel when I order coffee
This is how I feel when I order coffee

Large cups of coffee: Their large cup of coffee is equivalent to a McD small kid’s drink.

Sweet Tea: There is no such thing.

Peanut Butter: If you can find PB here it is layered with pounds of salt and tastes nothing like my beloved JIFF.

Good barbecue: Give me the good old fashioned American BBQ. Refer to my last post if you want to learn more about Aussie BBQ

Store hours: The mall is generally open normally during the week but on Saturday all the stores, including the grocery stores, close at 4 p.m.? How did that ever become a thing?

Customer service: Since you don’t tip here, do not expect the waitress to put up with crap from you while you order. They get paid $21+ an hour, they don’t need your tips.

Taco Bell: When I arrive back in Indy Nov. 22 at 8 p.m., and I am on my way back home, you can bet that I am stopping to grab some good ol’ T-Bell. I forgot how delicious this unhealthy, greasy, artery-clogging food is.