Nostalgia and anniversaries

A great fall break and two years.
A great fall break and two years.

Two and a half years ago I set foot on Hanover’s campus as a student for the first time, and everyone told me it would be the best four years of my life. I couldn’t wait. I was done with high school and was leaving all that behind for something new and exciting, and I was so ready.

I can still vividly remember moving into my dorm, meeting my roommate for the first time, and my first real Campus Center (CC) meal. I remember my first group meeting with my Peer Advisor and my Great Works class, and I can remember the first time my best friend and I talked after karaoke.

The one thing I can’t remember, though, is the first time I met the girl who would become my girlfriend.

Now, I know that sounds terrible, and it probably is, but let me tell you what I do recall. I can still think of conversations we had during August Experience hanging out in the Haq Center, and walking back and forth from Donner/Ide to the CC for dinner.

I remember falling for her as first semester went on and all the awkwardness that ensued from there.┬áBut for some reason, I can’t remember the first time we met.

The only reason I’m telling you this (other than the fact that it’s adorable, and we’re probably the epitome of The Hanover Couple) is because this Fall Break marked our two year anniversary.

I don’t usually like to talk about my relationship on here as it’s a little personal, but I realized it’s such a big part of my life and my story at Hanover that I should dedicate at least one post to it.

We’ve spent the past two years together with about eight months of that long-distance due to breaks. We’re at the point where I know the password to her Netflix account, and we co-own a blanket.

Surprisingly, this fall break was the first time she actually got to come home with me for more than a few hours. Now, I obviously had a romantic evening roughly outlined for us involving dinner and walks in the park and, oddly enough, duckpin bowling.

I won’t get into all the mushy details, but needless to say it was an amazing way to spend break and to spend our anniversary.

I guess what I’m really trying to get at with this post isn’t that if you come to Hanover you’ll fall in love and be with someone forever and all that┬ácute stuff. It’s this: no matter where you go to college or what you do with your life, enjoy yourself.

Don’t let memories and stories make you wish things were the way they used to be. Keep making memories. Hanover’s taught me that college shouldn’t be the best four years of your life. If that’s the case, the next 60-plus years are going to be dreadfully boring.

Just live in the moment and enjoy it, and it’s pretty nice if you have someone along for the ride.