Study Break

My exhausted/happy face after fighting massive waves for an hour.

I learned an INCREDIBLY AWESOME thing while here in Australia, and it’s that they have a break called Study Week. It’s different from Hanover, where we have Dead Week followed by finals (hopefully spaced out nicely_, and then it is time for us to go home and relax for a while.

However, in Aussie after the last week of classes (which maybe you have an hour or two total of lectures that week), you have an entire week to do whatever you want. The colleges’ idea is that you will spend this week studying or preparing for the exams that are upcoming.

Coming from the states and most of us being American exchange students, we are not used to having the luxury of this extra week of nothing.  Most of us will spend the week traveling. It also helps that the finals are spread out over a period of three weeks.

It is very common that you have this entire week, and then you might not have a final until the second week, so you have basically two and a half weeks of whatever mischief you wish to get yourself into.

When the other Americans and I heard of this glorious opportunity to do whatever we wanted we were pumped. We talked to the Norwegians, Australians, British and Germans about how awesome this was, and how we couldn’t believe they actually give you this extra break.

But, they all looked at us funny, and we didn’t understand why until they told us that they had this break as well. (I hope that the administration at Hanover reads this and thinks about implementing this extra break. That would be awesome)

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to travel anywhere while all the other Americans went to Bali. I decided to give up going to Bali and go to Melbourne again between finals. I’m not upset about my choice, though. A large group of European exchanges are also hanging out this week with me and the small group of Americans who stayed.

Some of the Europeans procrastinating with late night poker, pop, and some chips and salsa.

It’s only been the first day of the break, and we have already been swimming against four-to-five- meter waves, playing sand volleyball, watching movies in the afternoon and playing poker late a night.

I will get some studying in eventually — well hopefully — but for a couple days this week I’m going to soak up the sun and have some fun with my friends.

We have planned to go to Chocolate by the Bald Man Max Brenner Chocolate Bar, Hangtime (which is similar to Sky Zone, an indoor trampoline park), go to Sydney on two different days and, of course, waste away in the sun on the beach.

I only have 21 days left here in this beautiful, foreign country, and I plan to make the most of it.