Costumes On and Off the Stage

Sigma Chi's professor impersonations.
Sigma Chi’s professor impersonations.

October on campus is one of my favorite times of the year. The leaves are all turned, and it’s actually a bearable temperature outside. I can’t help wanting to throw on a jacket and take to the trails for a hike.

Apparently, a lot of other people think it’s pretty beautiful as well since we were ranked 10th on “The 17 College Campuses with the Best Fall Foliage.”

The beauty of our campus isn’t even my favorite part. It’s typically a time where I’m deep into the rehearsal process, and everyone’s enjoying all the traditions campus has to offer.

While I am in rehearsals for an upcoming performance, I actually got the opportunity to see one of our directors in performance, a rare treat for those of us in the department.

Professor Jim Stark recently performed a monologue in downtown Madison, Ind. His play, a crazy retelling of a story about one man’s run in with vampires, was absolutely thrilling, and his performance brought it alive.

It was a great to get a look at our director’s talents on the stage. We also got to see the hard work of a few other staff and faculty members, like our new professor Katie Rasor Newell and our┬ácostumer Rebecca Trout.

Speaking of costumes, this past weekend was the annual President’s Halloween Party. For the past few years, the Sigma Chis have tried to come up with cool group costumes we could get excited about.

My freshman year, they went as the Rainbros all dressed in different color-morphed suits. Last year, we went with a bunch of bananas and a gorilla who chased us around all night.

This year, as an homage to President DeWine’s final year as president, we decided to go as some of our favorite members of the faculty. Kevin Stormer, Dr. Bruyninckx, Dr. Jagels, myself as Dr. Mruzek, and Dr. Phillip were all in attendance.

And, of course, we had to get our pictures taken. While we didn’t win best group, our Dr. Bruyninckx did win Best Impersonation of the night, so we’re all pretty proud of that. This end to the month of October has been incredible, and I’ve soaked up as much of it as I can. Let’s just hope November lives up to the hype.