A break from technology

Who needs a working phone, am I right?
Who needs a working phone, am I right?

Mid-terms have come and gone, and just like that, half the semester is over. Looking back over the last two years, I can’t help but notice a consistent trend.

All of my electronics break right before Fall Break. I mean, sure everyone’s phone is going to stop working at some point, and everyone’s going to have computer issues, that’s just the nature of the thing.

Oddly enough though, it only happens to me toward the beginning of October every year. I’ve gone through two screens on my computer, four phones and countless chargers since freshman year began two and a half years ago.

This last time, both my computer and my phone stopped working right at midterms. Luckily for me, the computer lab is open 24-7, and I had my important documents backed up so I stayed on top of my work.

While most people would freak out if their communication with the world was cut off so drastically, especially in a world where technology has become an integral part of our lives, I chose to stay calm and see this as an opportunity to evaluate my life and take a step back in time.

Over break and since we’ve been back, my lack of phone has really opened my eyes to something. I look at my phone too often. And I don’t mean this in a cynical you’re-on-that-dang-Google-box-too-much sort of way.

I mean, I don’t always take the time on a regular basis to really enjoy the moment. I’m always checking my email in case a professor or club emails me. I’m scrolling through social media looking at all the cool things other people are doing.

And while all these things are great, every now and then I really hit a wall when I didn’t have these. I was forced to become creative in entertaining myself. I had to make a conscious effort to reach out to people I wanted to talk to.

For the first few days, there was this crippling fearĀ  that I would miss out on something, or a family emergency would come up, and I wouldn’t be able to be reached. Eventually, I became content without it. And now that I’ve said all of that, I think I just got an email from the mailroom telling me my new phone just came in.