My first theater show

College is full of firsts; sometimes they happen when you’re a wee little freshman, and sometimes they happen when you’re kicking off your last year at college. I was always interested in theater and acting, but never found the motivation to put myself out there and audition for much of anything during the past seven years.

In high school, I decided I was going to audition for our musical when I was a senior. How can you finish high school without at least auditioning for fun? This year, I did the same as a senior in college.

The play this year was “The Dining Room” by A.R. Gurney Jr. It follows a dining room and its contents as they (in no particular order) pass through ownership of different families throughout time. Theatre is meant to give insight to the human condition, and this script had a good mixture of serious topics with humorous themes.

The best kind of plays are the ones that make you think, and leave you with a deeper understanding of what it means to be alive.

Summer Kennedy and I during one of our scenes together.

However, I digress. Back to the point: I was in a play my senior year! I had two scenes to act in. In one of the scenes, I was a brother arguing with his sister over out how to divvy up the contents of their mother’s old house.

My other scene was as a college student (go figure) who was taking pictures of his Aunt Harriet using some archaic looking dining ware. The comic twist came in when it was revealed that the project was about vanishing cultures in America, and his old and dying aunt was the subject.

The process itself was not as stressful as I expected. Because this play involved so many actors, there were a lot of nights where I would not be on-call, meaning that I did not have to be at rehearsal. This meant that I was free to use that time for my other obligations, such as my academic work and working with my fraternity.

Overall, my experience in the play was fantastic, and I also had the honor of being the closing musical act that saw everyone out of the house. I’m not sure whether or not I want to audition for the next play, but it’s a strong possibility.

My only problem with this show was that balancing rehearsal and being president of a fraternity was a major challenge. By the time the next auditions come around, we will have had our elections, however, and I will have passed the throne onto the next poor soul who thinks being president will be fun. So, who knows? I might just be on stage again before I graduate.