New experiences: meeting John Dean and Laci Green

John Dean
That’s me with John Dean in my communication class.

As a junior, I think that it’s pretty easy to say that sometimes your schedule is not exactly ideal. Different things come up and your normal week quickly becomes a hectic week.

Well, this week was definitely one of those weeks. Sleep deprivation was at an all time high with midterms approaching, and procrastination was seen at it’s finest while I tried to manage my softball workouts, practices, student jobs and class work. At the end of the week, however, that the crazy schedule was definitely worth it.

As I write this blog with a sigh of relief to a lot of hard work being put behind me, I can say honestly that I have had quite a few unique experiences this week. I was able to get all of my work done and even go to see some awesome presentations here on campus.

Monday, YouTuber Laci Green was on campus, and just a few days later John Dean was here to speak to the college and even came to my class! So, note to incoming freshman, it can all be done, so make sure to take advantage of every opportunity here. The experiences you get at Hanover College are once in a lifetime.

Laci Green’s event was definitely a much different kind of atmosphere than most other events on campus. She is a sex educator who is the host of an online sex education show that has millions of viewers, and she also has a show with the Discovery Channel. It’s easy to say she is pretty well known and an expert on the topic.

I think the best part about her coming to campus was to see how relatable she was to all the students. It is always refreshing to know that someone who is able to make such a difference and be so well known to our generation is also just like us, too.

Meeting John Dean and having him speak one on one to my communication classes was definitely something I never thought I would have the chance to say.

In my class, we had been discussing government leaks, and how communication law affects the overall ruling of such cases.  It was just incredibly interesting to get the chance to speak with someone who was part of one of the biggest scandals in United States history.

Dean told us about how he got to work next to President Nixon, about his powerful testimony and how it shaped things within the White House in ways that still exist today. Whether or not you are a history buff or a strong follower of politics, meeting John Dean was an experience all in its own.

Since I have been here, I have had other incredible experiences besides meeting John Dean. Last year, I met Woody Harrelson, and during my freshman year I commentated my first sports event on the Campus Channel.

College is not all daisies and roses all the time, but it’s definitely an experience. I consider each one of those experiences a new one that I will learn from in one way or another.