Proud to Be

Here I am (in front) with the amazing friends I met after hiking to The Point.

Hi, there! My name is Cara Hoskins, a freshman here at Hanover College. This week ends my third official week as a college student. That means that, including the August Experience, I have been living in my own dorm room, doing my own laundry (if the thought of this absolutely terrifies you, click the hyperlink), and getting my own meals for 26 days, to be exact.

Sounds scary, huh? Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s really not. If you are a high school junior or senior thinking about attending Hanover within the next few years, I am sure there are many worries going through your head.

Will I be okay without my parents? Will I make friends? Is this school right for me? If you were anything like me in high school, these are just a few of the questions that are running through your brain.

In just 26 days, I have found the answers to all of these questions and many more. Yes, you will be okay without your parents. This doesn’t mean that you have to completely forget about the family you will leave behind at home if you decide to live on campus.

However, it does mean that you will wake up on your own without your mom or dad pulling the covers off of you (this surprised me) and that you will find out that doing laundry isn’t as hard as it looks (after a few attempts, at least.) It also means that you can do all of this and still call your mom, dad, brother, sister or grandparents to stay in touch.

I have also learned that making new friends really isn’t as difficult as it seems. When you first get to college, you are still upset about leaving all of your old high school friends behind. And that is okay, because you will be with at least 250 other people who are also dealing with their changing lives.

Everyone is trying to make new friends, and you can find some of the best friends you may ever have at college. I know I have.

Another thing that you may struggle with is the big question: Is this school right for me? This is something only you can decide. Throughout the next few months, people are going to ask you over and over what college you have decided to attend.

My advice to you is to choose a college that you are proud of when you answer them. Even if you will have to move three hours away (I did), take a risk and pick the school that makes you proud. This will ensure that one day, you can be like me, because I believe that choosing Hanover College is the best decision I have ever made in my life, and I have never been more proud to be a Hanoverian.