Year-in-review and summer plans

The Three Sigmigos at formal this year.
The Three Sigmigos at formal this year.

This year has been even more than I could ask for. The friendships I’ve gained as well as the ones that have grown, the opportunities that have opened up for me and the countless new experiences that I’ve had have been tremendous. From theater to relationships to holding a position in a Greek house, I’ve had a great year.

Ever since I’ve been at Hanover, theater has become a big part of my life, and this year was stupendous for me in that department. With two roles and some crew hours logged, I have increased my expertise in the field slowly but surely.

I was first in “The People, Yes,” which was a great experience directed by Professor of Theatre Jim Stark; I had the pleasure of doing this play with my girlfriend and plenty of my other friends. Later on, I had my biggest role ever as a 22-year-old male prostitute in “Harvest,” directed by Associate Professor of Theatre Paul Hildebrand.

My acting skills have grown tremendously since I joined the theater realm, and my roles and instruction this year have helped me exponentially.

With both of my best friends getting new relationships, being a peer advisor and helping our new pledge class get oriented, I’ve gained a ton of new friends over the past year. Some of this year’s incoming freshmen are my best friends now, and our most recent pledge class has become a huge part of my life.

Everyone who has entered my life or stayed for one reason or another has made this year amazing. The year would not have been the same without each and everyone of them, and I can’t wait for the new class to come and make their mark on campus and on me.

I’ve also held my first official role as an officer since leaving Boy Scouts in high school. As Sig’s Philanthropy chairman of two semesters, I’ve put on a few fundraisers and led our troops to numerous service trips.

Our most successful was our Benefit Concert for Huntsman Cancer Foundation earlier this year where we made more than $300. It’s truly been an experience, and I know I’m passing off the position into good hands.

Even though the year is coming to a close, and some of my closest friends are graduating, I can’t help but look forward to what this summer will bring. I held an internship with the Rivers Institute Traveling Theatre last year, which a lot of my friends are doing this year, including three of my brothers.

Leaving that behind, I’m actually taking an unpaid internship with the fundraising department of the Center for the Performing Arts in Carmel, Ind. While it’s unpaid, the experience I’ll gain will undoubtedly be not only a résumé builder, but a huge asset to my future internships and career.

This has been an amazing, yet hectic, year, and I can’t help but hope next year will be even better.