How Hanover has changed me

This week marks the beginning of the last week of my undergraduate career. I took a different route and didn’t spend my last spring term on campus, but rather I moved to South Carolina and started work.

Looking back at my freshman year, I really don’t think I would have ever thought that leaving Hanover would be a good thing. I was stuck in this dream that college would last forever: the parties, the classes, the sporting events, but since I’ve been away it really has hit me that it is over.

I’ve completed four years of studies at Hanover College, and Saturday I will across the stage to receive a $160,000 piece of paper telling me that I am educated. That’s so crazy to me that I did it! I finished, and now it’s time to move on.

But before I move on, I want to take a look back to my last three years at Hanover College. I came here naïve to the world around me. I hadn’t been too far outside Kentucky when I arrived and southern Indiana was as far as I went for college. At the time I thought that was extreme, but now I realize it’s just up the river.

61739_1526660520010_4531605_n
Beginning of the year Gala Freshman Year

Since I have been at Hanover, opportunity has thrust itself upon me. I can now say in the past two years I have lived in Hilton Head Island, S.C., Philadelphia and Izmir, Turkey. These are places I don’t think I could have ever fathomed traveling to, let alone living there.

Hanover provided me with the tools to accomplish these wonderful things, and for that I will always be grateful.

I am so grateful for my professors and staff who pushed me academically both inside and outside the classroom to achieve, as well as to my sisters who lifted me up when I was down and made me laugh when I didn’t want to smile and to my track coaches who constantly reminded me that hard work and a team effort can win championships.

548436_10201217203325701_672354823_n
Beginning of the year Gala Senior Year

Hanover has helped change me from an worrisome, bashful girl who lacked confidence to an independent and boisterous young woman. I can now think critically, confidently speak in front of audiences and organize and execute a nonprofit play in less than three months (one of life’s more useful skills I’ve decided).

I have been changed by this community for the better, and I know that even though I’m graduating, I will never be far from this place that I call home. The connections that Hanover has established in my life are ones that I know will last a lifetime and for that Saturday will be more of a see ya later moment instead of a goodbye.