Woody comes to Hanover!

If you haven’t heard from Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or some other form of social media about who was on campus this past Saturday, I’ll tell you … WOODY HARRELSON! Yes, the class of 1983 alumnus came to receive an honorary doctorate.

Students, faculty and family were able to come and listen to Woody’s past professors speak about him as well as hear Woody reminisce about his days at Hanover College and the journey he had to take to become the success he is today.

Although my sister, Whitney, and I didn't make the picture, Woody was taking pictures after the ceremony and my cousin, Abbie (middle), was able to get her picture with him.  But hey, you can see part of my face!
Although my sister, Whitney, and I didn’t make the picture, Woody was taking pictures after the ceremony and my cousin, Abbie (middle), was able to get her picture with him. But hey, you can see part of my face!

At Woody’s ceremony, he conveyed a message for us students to follow our dreams. He reminded us that he has made many mistakes, failed many times, but through perseverance and hard work he followed his passion and became successful.

The speech was one of hope. It left many of us with a sense of strength that no matter how many obstacles life throws our way, we will overcome them and achieve our dreams.

I enjoyed listening to Woody speak. Not only did he keep the audience on their toes with his stories, but he also had everyone doubled over laughing through much of his acceptance speech. It was an enjoyable evening.

It was also nice to see Woody’s kindness for his alma mater and current students. While on his Hanover visit, he made a point to visit the Sigma Chi house and talk with the current brothers.

Even I had an opportunity to meet Woody. Lucky for me, I had the early shift at the gym, and guess who came in to workout… WOODY HARRELSON! I was beyond excitement and probably stared at him the whole time, but I was just amazed that I was in the same room with Woody.

When he was done working out, he came over to talk with me, asking about my day, and even joked about a few things. I think I was a little star struck, but it was amazing to be able to meet one of my favorite actors.