Harrelson and distinguished alumni return to HC

HC Sig Alumni Woody Harrelson and Mark Dunning in the Sigma Chi house.

This past weekend was not only extremely hectic, but also one of the best I’ve had at Hanover so far. As I’ve said in many posts before, I am a member of Chi Chapter of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.

I’m pretty sure I got my fill of Sig this weekend (although there’s always room for more) with the end of I-Week, a very successful philanthropy event, and one very distinguished alumnus returning for the first time in 20 years.

Woody Harrelson talks with HC's Elbow Room.
Woody Harrelson talks with HC’s Elbow Room.

First off, I-Week. I-Week for Sigma Chi is the week leading up to the initiation of our new members. Pledges get to live in house. They eat with us, sleep in house, and really get to know their soon-to-be brothers a lot better.

We were lucky enough to have a few dozen alumni come back to celebrate the new members’ initiation. It is always amazing to meet new brothers and reconnect with recent grads.

To take a slight detour from alumni for a second, I am also Sig’s current philanthropy chairman. I’m basically in charge of all things philanthropy: fundraising, service, and charity events.

This weekend we had our first (hopefully annual) Sigma Chi Charity Concert (a.k.a. Sig’s Got Talent), and it went off without a hitch. Hanover’s very own Elbow Room (Professors Bill Bettler and Craig Phillip, senior Lauren Bowers and sophomore Alec Hamaker) performed, as well as a few brothers including fellow blogger Dakota McCoy.

With close to 75 non-brothers/non-alumni in attendance we raised more than $300 for Huntsman Cancer Foundation, including the addition of a generous donation from active alumnus Mark Evan Dunning. Everyone in attendance had a blast, and the event could not have gone any better.

Sigma Chi President Dakota McCoy performs at the Sigma Chi Charity concert.

Now back to what you’ve all been waiting for. This past weekend HC and Chi Chapter had the honor of welcoming back alumnus Woody Harrelson ’83 to campus after a 20 year hiatus. He showed up this past Friday, and characteristic of the Woody way, many on campus saw him riding his bike at around 1 a.m., just saying hi to people as he passed by.

Saturday, following a private event at Sig where we all got to sing the famous “Sweetheart of Sigma Chi” song to current sweetheart Kaitlyn Knapp, things seemed to die down for a minute on this star-struck campus.

Around 2:30 p.m., the Sigs geared up to help direct traffic for a ceremony awarding Woody an honorary doctorate. The ceremony was lighthearted, yet honorific, with speakers President DeWine, Sigma Chi and theater professor Dr. Mark Fearnow, and former theater department head Dr. Tom Evans.

This all lead up to a private theater event in The Shoebox where people hung out, chatted and took some photos with Woody. All in all, it was a great weekend, and I’m glad Sundays exist because after all the events of Saturday, I needed a break before returning to class.

Woody has said that he’s glad he came back finally and plans to return (hopefully sooner than 20 years from now). It was a great weekend for Sigma Chi and Hanover alike. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year brings.