My average week at Hanover

Can a high school senior know what he or she is signing up for when a choice is made to go to Hanover College for the next four years? Sure, you might have an idea of what college will be like, but when it actually hits you for the first time, you’re likely to get knocked off your feet.

Luckily, being president of Sigma Chi fraternity, starting a computer science degree two years late and being on the Student Activity Budgeting Committee (SABC) haven’t completely ripped me to shreds yet.  I can’t say everyone who goes to school here has a schedule like this, but this is what my weeks have started to look like more frequently than I might prefer:

Thursday: Submissions for Sigma Chi’s quarterly newsletter were due, as well as a complete membership report update. Class from 10-11 a.m., followed by a blogger meeting. Lab from 1-3 p.m. SABC meeting at 4 p.m. Pledgeship at 7 p.m. Then time for homework and writing a blog post, if I haven’t passed out.

Friday: Class. Almost. All Day. Roommate playing Rebecca Black’s “Friday” on repeat. Don’t click the link if you’re not reading this on a Friday. You’ll spoil the fun.

Saturday/Sunday: Break time: we had our formal this night in Louisville, Ky., at the Frazier Arms Museum. After the banquet and dance, some of us explored downtown Louisville and 4th Street.

All the Theta/Sig couples making a Theta "kite." Notice how poorly coordinated the Sigs are. Kites just aren't our thing.
All the Theta/Sig couples making a Theta kite. Notice how poorly coordinated the Sigs are. Kites just aren’t our thing.

Monday: Class from 9-11 a.m. and again from 2-3 p.m.. Rugby from 3-4 p.m. Presided over the fraternity chapter meeting at 7 p.m.

Tuesday: Housing renewal due to school administration for next year. Class until my interview for peer adviser position at 3 p.m. SABC meeting from 4-7 p.m., followed by an hour-long Interfraternal Council meeting.

Wednesday: IFC Man of the Year Nomination due (Congrats to my roommate Matt Perkins for winning our chapter’s nomination). Class schedule the same as Monday.

Thursday: Same class schedule as last Thursday (Classes repeat weekly). Greek Advisor visits from 2-3 p.m.  SABC meeting from 4-7 p.m. Pledgeship from 7-8 p.m. Then homework/labs/reading. Then I sit down to write a blog post about my last week.

Naturally, this is not the average week of a Hanover student, but it is for me. Am I complaining? Of course not. Like I said, I know what I signed up for.

Could it be better? Sure, but it could be worse, too. When it boils down to the basics, at Hanover you will have the opportunity to be as busy — or as free — as you want. I’m here to make sure I get the most of my time.