Job hunting is a full-time job

I’ve been hearing a lot lately that searching for a job is a full-time job in itself, which I am starting to find is very true. I only have two classes (one a day) along with organizing the 2014 V-Day event and track practice. I thought that I would be able to find time with such a light schedule to fit in time to look for jobs.

photo
What job hunting is doing to me.

Nope. Not happening. If I want to find a job that I will enjoy after graduation and a location that I will enjoy, it is going to take me hours on top of hours of work. I just spent about an hour and a half looking for jobs and didn’t even find one I wanted to apply for. Rough life.

I am so nervous and scared that I won’t find a job before I graduate and be forced to live in downtown Madison, Ind., or even worse back home in Owensboro, Ky. I’m not quite sure why I dislike my hometown so much, but I always seem to get myself into trouble when I stay for extended periods of time.

Between us, I’m nervous. People keep telling me not to worry, more jobs will be posted, you will figure it out, but the closer I come to May 24, the more nervous I become. I am confident in my abilities and my education, but I’m not confident about knowing what exactly it is I want to do.

How is this possible? I’ve had five internships all in different fields and can’t seem to decide what I like best. Sports, hospitality, tourism, education, marketing — and I come up blank when people ask what I want to do.

None of this really bothered me until I had an interview the other day, and my interviewer hinted that my résumé was busy and was unclear about my interests and what I really wanted to do.

Asking me what I want to do right now is about as difficult as answering the question, what is life? You don’t know, I don’t know, and I don’t think we’ll ever know. My question will inevitably have an answer, its just trying to figure out the steps I need to take to get there.