Formal with friends and Thanksgiving alone

Kappa Alpha Theta held its semi-formal dinner/dance last weekend, and my girlfriend, Kaitlin, decided she wanted to take me as her date (who would have guessed??).

Each year, most sororities on campus have two of these sort of events. One in the fall, which is their semi-formal, and one in the winter, which is their formal. Dating a Theta, I only realistically get the opportunity to go to Theta’s dances, but my roommate, who’s been to all of them multiple times, tells me Theta’s are usually the most fun anyway.

I enjoy each chance I get to put on a suit and tie. Four years of speech and debate in high school had me basically fall in love with dressing up, so semi-formal and formal events are secretly me revisiting those golden years.

I actually had one person say something along the lines of, “If that’s what you wear to a semi-formal I have no clue what you’re going to wear to the full formal.” No big deal, I’m just really sharp and whatnot.

My beautiful date, Kaitlin, and I at semi-formal.

Theta’s semi-formal was a good time, but it might as well have been a Theta-Sigma Chi mixer. Ten Sigs ended up going with various Thetas to the event, which is practically a third of our entire house. No complaints though — if I didn’t enjoy hanging out with these guys, I wouldn’t have joined Sigma Chi in the first place.

Thanksgiving was a different story. For the first time in my life I spent Thanksgiving alone. Why? Mostly because I didn’t want to make the five-hour drive home just to have to drive back and then do it again after finals week.

Don’t feel sorry for me or anything, though. Spending the time alone was a good experience, and I can fortunately say I wasn’t in the shoes of these poor souls. I’m warning you, some of the reasons why they’re alone are miserably sad. After reading these responses I realized I didn’t have it so badly.

It’s easy to forget how much you have in your life when it’s with you every day. Spending Thanksgiving with the people you care about is a good thing, but being away from my friends and family gave me time to step back and realize how much I actually care about them.

They’re the ones who are there for me no matter what. They’re the ones who are probably reading this. They take care of me, and I do my best to take care of them. We get by.

Looking forward to going home for Christmas, though. Happy Thanksgiving ya’ll.