From Hanover to “The Hunger Games”

Aside from all the stress of homework, midterms and other worries students have at Hanover College, I still like to make the short trip to the movie theater once in a while. Coming soon is “Catching Fire,” a sequel to “The Hunger Games.”

Set in the ruins of post-apocalyptic North America, the Capitol is the government of 12 districts where there are very strict rules. The districts do not act out against the Capitol after the 13th district was destroyed when their people rebelled.

Every year, each district has a reaping where they select one boy and one girl between the ages of 12-18 to compete in the Hunger Games.  In the games, the tributes fight to the death, and only one person will win.  From district 12, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark are the selected tributes to partake in the games.

My roommate sporting her Hunger Games gear and preparing for Catching Fire!

“Catching Fire” comes to theaters Nov. 22, and my friends and I are excited about catching its opening debut. These movies are based on the books written by Suzanne Collins.

Many actors and actresses from the film have come from small towns, just like us.  They weren’t born and raised in Hollywood.  Jennifer Lawrence, who plays the role of Katniss Everdeen (the main character), grew up in Louisville, Ky.  She may have made it big, but she still sticks to her roots.

Josh Hutcherson, who plays the character Peeta Mellark, is from Kentucky as well.

The most surprising of all is probably Woody Harrelson.  You might know Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy, but he was also a Hanover College graduate.  Harrelson studied theatre and English here at Hanover and while he was a student, he was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity.

It’s pretty amazing that someone I watch in some of my favorite movies (“The Hunger Games,” “Zombieland,” “Now You See Me,” etc.) graduated from the same college I will!

Now that you know a little more about the great actors and actresses in “Catching Fire,” you will definitely have to check it out.  When I go see “Catching Fire,” I’ll be a proud Hanoverian as I watch one of our own in action.