Traditions are Made to Be Created

A door incorporating a HC Panther and the Sigma Chi flag.

Anytime you join an organization, there are bound to be traditions that come with that induction. This has been my first year living in the Sigma Chi house, and it has been an interesting semester.

With multiple layout changes in my room, weekly house jobs and just the overall experience that comes with living in a house with 30 other men, this year has had its moments. Like I said, though, we have some really good traditions, some that have lasted through the years and some that have just begun.

For instance, just this year we’ve started having little brotherhood walks to the local Circle K convenience store. It sounds weird, but we’ve had some really good conversations on the short half-hour journey to get the ever-desired Polar Pops. We’ve even invited this semester’s pledges to gain a better relationship with them.

A Sigma Chi White Cross with Gaelic rope design.

Another one that is really interesting, in my opinion, is the practice of painting our doors. While all the dorms have the same wood or metal doors for every room, if you walk through the halls of Sigma Chi you’ll see everything from Batman comics to the always interesting chalkboard door to classic stripes.

Some of the most interesting ones have been painted by a fifth year senior who’s back this year after taking a year to work and study in Brazil.

I’ve decided this year to make my mark on the house by painting my door. While we have some really interesting or entertaining doors, I wanted to do something that people could relate to but was still personal.

My door with Sigma Chi Founders.
My door with Sigma Chi Founders.

My roommates and I decided to put the faces of our three favorite founders on the door. These include Daniel William Cooper, Benjamin Piatt Runkle and James Parks Caldwell. I actually took some inspiration for the design from a project I did my sophomore year of high school.

It’s been really fun tapping into my more artistic side for the first time since my senior year or so of high school. I’m getting close to being done but it’s quite a bit of work.

While some of the traditions we have may seem trivial, they are what make this experience so great. They always save room for personalization and are always flexible, but are also an important part of this and any organization.