Break in Boston

Pierce and me in Boston
Pierce and me in Boston

This fall break I got to go on my first real trip by myself. I went to see my best friend from high school at Boston University for the weekend, and it was one of the best times that I have had in a while.

Talks of me coming to visit started back in the late summer, and then they manifested themselves when I purchased the most expensive thing in my life up that point: a plane ticket.

I don’t know if any of you have ever had the misfortune of entering those 16-digits of your credit card into Delta’s website, but it is very painful. After my bank account was bled dry, however, it was all downhill from there.

I arrived in Boston at noon the Saturday of break and took my first cab to Pierce’s apartment. The first person I met was one of Pierce’s roommates, Erik. Erik loves the same music as me, the same movies and hobbies as my brother, and had an awesome beard; we hit it off pretty well.

The first day’s activities consisted of shopping and just wandering around Boston to show me the sites. I had been there once before back in 2008, but only went on a historical tour of the city, not a cultural tour. Viewing the city from this angle was a lot more interesting and fun with the commentary of Pierce and Erik.

Pierce and I rode bikes all around the city, meeting his many friends along the way. One of his friends, Alex, was an Athenian philosophy major studying abroad for all four years at BU.

Sunday, Pierce, Alex, Erik and I filmed a silent film around Boston. We went on the subway system and to all the parks around town while filming. Pierce is still in the final stages of editing, so I will put up a link when he gets the movie up on Youtube.

I met some very fascinating and great people in Boston, and I am genuinely going to miss some of them. I look forward to my next trip back to the big city.

Until next time!

Gage