Adding a little Joy to my day

As much as I would have loved to watch the Hanover football team dominate Saturday’s Homecoming game, I was unable to attend. I chose to spend my rainy day indoors at a tea party.

All the yummy desserts lined up at the Tea Party!
All the yummy desserts lined up at the tea party.

My church, Salem Assembly of God, hosted the party where many ladies from the community gathered together. Now when you think of a tea party, you might think about people sitting around drinking hot tea (I personally am not a big fan of the drink), but that’s not exactly how it went.

It was actually called a dessert tea. There were rows and rows of delicious desserts. Since I knew I would run these desserts off at basketball practices, I decided to splurge and fit as many desserts on my plate that I could.

There were brownies, chocolate chip cookies, red velvet mini cupcakes, coconut cream pie, pumpkin spice cupcakes, German chocolate cake, blueberry muffins, chocolate fudge — the list goes on and on.

Not only did I load up on desserts, but I also visited the Keurig machine to make some amazing hot chocolate. Nothing could have been better on a cold and rainy day.

After all of the ladies finished mingling, winning door prizes and eating desserts, we all gathered to listen to a very special woman.  My mom’s friend, Joy Schroeder spoke at this year’s tea.

My friends and I having a blast at the tea party.

Joy is a daughter, friend, wife, sister, mother, teacher and breast cancer survivor. She spoke of the many trials and tribulations she had undergone throughout her journey.  Although many of us see cancer as one of the most unfortunate things that can happen to someone, Joy took the opportunity to see it as a challenge.

She encouraged us to embrace each day and seek God in our times of trouble. Joy’s positive attitude and great outlook on life made me reflect on my own life. Instead of worrying about things we have little control over, we should cherish each day and make the best of what we have been given.

We can choose to let our problems take over our lives, or we can live life to the fullest with no regrets. I was glad I spent my weekend at this event and with wonderful people and some great food.  It may have been cold and rainy outside, but JOY was in the house!