My dream of becoming a teacher

Amazon John from Silly Safaris holds a tortoise, has a Albino Burmese Python wrapped around his leg, and has a rabbit right beside him.

Choosing a major is such a difficult decision. When I was a little girl, my dream was to be a teacher. Over the years, I changed my mind a few times, but I always came back to a job in education.

As part of my education class, I intern at Southwestern Elementary every Thursday from 8-10 a.m. and do a variety of things in the classroom. I tutor in Mrs. Wynn’s second-grade classroom. She has me either tutoring one student at a time or a group of four to five students.

Once I’ve done a little bit of hands-on work with the students, I observe her teaching styles and apply them to my small groups. Mrs. Wynn has made me part of her classroom. One the first day, she turned a corner of her room into my own little classroom. I felt like an actual teacher.

This internship and my education class helped me confirm my decision. I look forward to seeing those little second graders every week. When you find something you love to do, you know it is the right decision.

Amazon John brought in a vulture and even fed it in front of the Hanover College students who attended the program.

Another exciting thing I’ve done in my education class is attend a program lead by Amazon John from Silly Safaris. This program uses animals to teach life science standards.  Students participate in hands-on activities.

An example of a program may consist of the different adaptations animals use to overcome any obstacles to stay alive.  Through games and activities with the animals, Amazon John brings this standard to life.  There is menagerie of animals in each program ranging from dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, alligators, pythons, lizards, tortoises, spiders and many others.

It’s great way to get kids involved in learning. I hope to use this in my future classroom.  You can find out more about this great program online at http://www.sillysafaris.com

This is the first education class I have taken at Hanover College. I look forward to diving into the other education classes. I am learning many things about being an educator and different tools to use in my own classroom. I’m thankful this first class confirmed my dream of being an educator.