The Goodwill Gala

How is the word gala pronounced? Is it gay-la? Gal-uh? Gah-la? Here at Hanover, it doesn’t matter how you say it, everyone around you will know what you’re talking about. The Gala is a social event that the school hosts each year where students and professors alike will dress up and head out to the Science Center to enjoy a night of fancy food and drinks.

Kaitlin and I at the fall Gala
Kaitlin and me at the fall Gala

This year, the place was packed and the lines were all very long, probably a result of the school trying to do what it can to increase student population without an entirely conscientious appreciation to the current size of our facilities.

At any rate, the event itself was enjoyable. The band they always bring in was solid, as usual. The food, once I was able to get it, tasted fantastic. The professors I talked to were very amiable and seemed to be having just as much fun as I was.

This is the Gala that everyone is used to. This is the Gala that everyone knows. At Sigma Chi, we have something else in mind when you say gala. At Sigma Chi this year, we hosted the Goodwill Gala just a few days after the school’s event.

Kaitlin and me at the Goowill Gala. What a change!

The Goodwill Gala was basically the polar opposite of the school’s fall Gala. Everyone who attended the event went out to Goodwill and bought the craziest looking outfits they could find and wore them over to the house for the party.

For some reason (and I have no idea why) denim suspenders seemed to be a favorite at the party. It was kind of on “The Children of the Corn”-level of creepy.

We didn’t have fancy drinks or sushi, and we certainly didn’t look particularly high class, but the Goodwill Gala was a lot of fun. It was a smaller party, more of just a theme night than a real party, but everyone who came seemed to be having a blast.

This weekend I’m looking forward to Beta Theta Pi’s first social event in a few years, so I’ll let you know how that one turns out.

By the way, this is how you say gala, according to the ever-intelligent internet.