Greek Week: Habitat for Humanity Build

I helped build a house! It was a very small house for a couple of kids.

At the conclusion of Greek Week, on our service day, we built a small playhouse with Habitat for Humanity for a couple of kids in the Madison area. It was so much fun to get to hang out and interact with several other members from the different fraternities and sororities on campus.

I came right after class Friday and stayed for two hours just hammering, shingling, painting — the works. There were several things that I had never done before, and by having the opportunity to do them for the first time, I realized they weren’t quite my forte.

1379532_10201217218286075_1943449765_n
Sorority women helping at the build with hammers in hand and ready to go.

First off, hammering. Who knew it was so hard to put hammer to nail without bending it, not putting it in the correct spot or hitting your thumb, all things that I did wrong. It was the moment when I hit my thumb that I came to the conclusion I was no Bob the Builder.

I went into this hammering project confident in my abilities and left wanting to sort nails and apply ice to my sore thumb.

Then there was shingling a roof, my second mishap. Our leader for the build pulls out the shingles and says “Who knows how to shingle a roof?” At this time there were only about five women and our Greek life advisor, Matt Deeg.

We confidently stepped up to the task, and thankfully, some tall fraternity men showed up because once we started getting close to the top of the house shingles had to be removed and reapplied because we had done them incorrectly.

1383775_10201217214085970_39164382_n
Back of the house with the hands of the students who built

After the house was complete, all that was left to do was paint. I didn’t get to paint very long because I had an astronomy exam followed by another class.

I missed out on most of the painting but the two panels on the house that I was able to complete I’m pretty sure were the best. Okay, just kidding but I was very impressed with myself after all the work that I had done in two hours and all the experience I had gained from the few simple tasks that I had.

Once I got out of class I rushed back over to the house so I could be there for the big reveal. It was so nice to see the finished project and be like, “Wow!” I helped build that. For me, this was my first Habitat for Humanity build, and I loved every minute of it.

It was an awesome experience, and I got to bond with fellow members of the Greek community. Overall, it was a great experience, and I can’t wait to do it again.