Trading tennis shoes for high heels at the Fall Gala

If you’ve ever seen me on campus, you know I’m not one for dressing up. Give me a pair of sweatpants, t-shirt or sweatshirt, and a pony tail holder, and I’m set for the rest of the year.

This weekend, I decided to have a change of heart. For the first time as a Hanover student, I decided to attend the Fall Gala that took place in the Science Center. This required wearing formal attire, make up, jewelry and yes, high heels. For someone who doesn’t like to get dressed up, I actually enjoyed the chance to get all spiffed up for the event.

Since I didn’t attend the Gala last year, I was a little unsure what to expect. Going with a group of friends helped ease my anticipation a little. I kept assuming it was a dance, but that’s not quite what it was. The Gala was more of a social gathering. We walked around and chatted with everyone, we tried all the different meals Sodexo made for us, we listened to the music and, of course, we took tons of pictures.

My date and I when we arrived at the Gala!

Not only did we see our friends, peers and teammates at the Gala, but the Hanover College faculty and staff also greeted us. I was able to talk many of my past and present professors.

Hanover College is a close-knit community, so it was fun to walk around, talk and just socialize with some familiar faces. Dean Yeager and President Sue DeWine also joined us for the event.

I’m glad I made the decision to try out the Gala, since it was an enjoyable night.  I plan to attend next year’s Fall Gala, and I hope you will, too!