Can’t stop until the violence stops

If you search back through my posts you will come across one titled, “Vagina Monologues 2013: Until the Violence Stops.” This production is something that I, along with the help my co-director Ariel Mishurda, put together in about six weeks.

At the conclusion of the event we ended up raising a little more than $500 for Turning Point Domestic Violence Services shelter in Madison,Ind. The event was a great success, and attendance was much higher than I had anticipated.

photo (1)
Turning Point Award

The reason I refer to this event from last March is because we recently won the Community Partner Award for the work that Hanover has done for several years producing Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues.” After participating in the show for three years, it was really cool to see the hard work that past directors put in earn recognition.

It was such an honor to know that the work that we do is able to help so many women as well. During the luncheon. they shared a couple stories from real women who had been helped by Turning Point in Madison.

The story of Heather Norris is one that I had never heard before. This is the tragic story of an abusive relationship that ended horribly, but Morris’ mother didn’t stop. Instead, she fulfilled one of her daughter’s goals, which was to help people. In 2010, Indiana passed Heather’s Law, which provided schools with students from grades 6-12 with education on dating and violence.

One of the students who participated in the program said, “This taught me a lot and really made me open my eyes. I know what it is like to be in an abusive relationship and I didn’t know what to do I feel like the last two weeks have really helped me and I believe that other students will learn a lot too.”

After attending this luncheon, it really enlightened me about real stories of real people that Turning Point works with and see it as more than just an organization but as a group of people who help change and save lives daily.

It really motivated me to want to raise more awareness and more money for Turning Point and the V-Day Campaign.